Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday...

time flies, and it has since been more than a month since I last blogged even though I had wanted to during the period...
Well, I have so much to say...about work and about friends...

I have been working for slightly past a month already...and feel so privileged to be a mangement consultant...well, people who understand wouldn't need any explanation on why so...

Anyway, work has been challenging my adaptation prowess and intellect in some ways already even though it has been only a few weeks...I have had to find my way to build up the initial foundation for myself...with help from a few superiors of course...
Learning new frameworks and methodologies is no longer new to me as I am going through that ever so often...just the past two days, I was going through Marketing and Sales Strategy training...well, i do know some of it already but nevertheless, it was a good exercise...
I've had to help with proposals; that was challenging at the start because it tested more of my hands-on and operational skills rather than content knowledge at this stage...
and time was always the most limited resource as we rushed against time to churn out that perfect looking proposal...

Well, I think i'll elaborate on work soon again but I may be going overseas soon, for my first project...
more details at a slightly later date... =)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to talk more about is with regards to friends and Commencement!

I was just looking at the commencement photos and a couple of video clips a moment before I started blogging...and I was chuckling out loud!
It was so funny, yet emotional in many other ways...

The happy expressions on our faces...the invisible sweat that we had gone through the last 4yrs to earn the right to be at the commencement ceremony in the graduation dress, the excitement and yet apprehension about the future...the 'cant bear to leave' feeling (for some of us, or maybe only myself), yet the 'want to explore the world in its entirety' feeling (again, for some of us or maybe only myself)...etc...

The complex intermix of emotions...I felt at the ceremony and now as I look back at the photos...
You might say, well, that's Jinfa for you...

Yes, it might be true...I'm such a person...maybe I think too in-depth sometimes...or oftentimes...
but it comes naturally...

Over the last 4yrs, all of us have taken different routes despite being in the same institution, same clique, same major...

Rewind two years...
I remember vividly speaking to a few friends about the input-output thingy...I'm not sure whether they still remember but let me recap...

Everyone comes into NUS as an individual entitiy (that's the input) part...wish I could draw a diagram but it's okie, try to visualize if you are reading this...
We undergo the 4 years of education and out we go into the corporate world (this is the output part)...what happens in between is a black box...What happens in this black box depends on many factors...
it can depend on:

Internal Factors
1) Self-controlled steering in the direction we aspire to head to
2) Personal networking effort to find the right people to guide us to where we want to go to
3) Putting in the necessary effort to clear the path for ourselves
4) Planning ahead and working smart to get the obstacles out of the way as much as possible

External Factors
1) Presence of opportunities
2) Luck certainly plays a part as well
3) Timing
4) Being at the right place at the right time with the right skills to grab the opportunities

well, I can go on and on, but essentially, that's the gist of what I was speaking to friends about...

Fast forwarding to today, it is interesting to see how our black boxes have worked over the years...our individual well-oiled engines and how they have carried us to our destination today and evolving into new and enhanced black boxes which will carry us into the next few years ahead...
Every few years, it is almost certain that the black box will need to be replaced or upgraded before it can carry us for a longer period of time; over a longer distance, over more testing circumstances, etc...

I am so interested to see how our black boxes will work this time round...

I am seeing things...I am envisoning...
10 years from today...Where will we be?
I am seeing that we will be holding senior management positions in engineering, in banks, in our own startups, in management consultancies, in govt sector, etc...

I remember that I used to always say this and let me repeat it...
We are going to be the future leaders of tomorrow, of Singapore and of the world...
This is the time...to start honing our skills, our knowledge, our networks, and tune our black boxes in a way it will carry us to our desired destinations and become leaders of tomorrow...

I feel so touched even as I think about the last few years and of the mental imagery of the future...
C'mon, we will do this together! =)

Strength and Motivation...
Stewards of Today,
Leaders of Tomorrow...

No comments: