Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday...

Today is 22nd May 2008, and I'm back from Western Australia! =)

Wow, Shiqi...it's amazing...u still read my blog???
I didn't think there would be anyone else reading my blog given that I rarely update it anymore...

Anyhow, I concur with your view that generally speaking, the rougher the path, the greater the rewards or yields. Well, that is consistent with investment principles, which has always been the case of higher risk, higher rewards. In life, it's often the case of no pain, no gain. They are all the same and I agree entirely.

That is why I also agree that generally speaking, the tougher the obstacles, the more glory in overcoming them.
It's been a long time since I used this phrase. Feels good repeating it now. =)

The next thing you mentioned about was the the fact that success is really self-defined. Again, I agree. However, it is often easier said than done in reality because people tend to mind what others think to certain extents as well as the society's definition of success. Of course, there are people who claim that they do not mind all that. But how many really mean that when they say it?
Life's many experiences, both ups and downs can create new personalities in people, can create new dreams, goals and aspirations and new perspectives towards life...

Sometimes, I really wish I can take a peek into other people's lives because that would allow me a more accurate yardstick of how much I have experienced relative to them. There are numerous other kinds of benchmarks and I do know where I stand compared to most people but there are the more intangible aspects of life such as crises...
In this regard, I actually do feel that I have gone through a few crises in life already. Again, the keyword is relativity because it is easy to see that someone who has undergone greater crises will deem this as unworthy of mention.

Hope you have been fine Shiqi...let's meet up soon...I just met Isabelle the week before prior to my trip to Australia. We always mentioned you because we haven't seen you in a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trip to Western Australia was interesting. I'm using 'Western Australia' instead of Perth because we only spent 1.5 to 2 days in Perth itself and more time north and south of the capital of WA.

Anyhow, it was interesting partly because the day before the departure and during the first 2 days of the holiday, my mum and sis were stuck in Chengdu, China. Yes, the city approximately 60miles from the epicenter of the worst earthquake in a century to hit Sichuan. I was very worried about their safety as the aftershocks continued relentlessly.

For them, it constitutes a part of their memory which they now call interesting and priceless largely because they were able to return to Singapore unscathed and safe. I was so glad when they finally touched down in Singapore safe and sound even though the earthquake struck merely 3-4hrs after they landed in Chengdu Airport. Also, they were supposed to have been up in the mountains at the time of the earthquake if not for the fact they there was a last minute arrangement to wait for another tour group to join them. This tour group was supposed to arrive later. They were eventually routed to Kunming because of the earthquake. However, thanks to them, the tour group my mum and sis were in did not depart for the mountainous region but rather, wait for them at the airport.

Anyhow, another important experience in life. We better cherish everything that we treasure and possess.

Back to Western Australia.
The pace there is excruciantingly slow and uncomfortable. The lifestyle is too laidback for my liking and comfort. Everyone knows about the infamous closing of most shops and businesses by 5pm but it felt worse when we were there than when we heard and tried to imagine it.
Everyday was very short because only a couple of activities could be completed before everyone packs up and goes home. I spoke to some natives there and it is interesting to know that some of them want a change in this regulation too.

The cost of living is extremely high. Much higher than in Singapore and sometimes more expensive than in the US too. I have been thinking about the reasons.
During the trip, I thought alot about the Australian economy too. Coupled with my own knowledge about the country's politics and economy as well as conversations with the locals, it confirmed my analysis that Australia is a hugely resource-driven economy. They are doing especially well in commodity boom times such as in the last few years, especially now.

Australia has huge reserves of resources such as iron ore, copper, titanium and much more. BHP Biliton is the world's largest mining company and it is Australian. China and many developing and developed countries which are resource hungry have been going places such as Africa, Brazil and Australia for resources. I won't go into detail about the economics of all these because it will lead to an extremely long paper. Anyhow, this has helped to prop up Australia's economy and the Australian dollar has been very strong too, helping to shield its people from inflationary pressures perhaps felt more strongly in the US.

I was just wondering again, if Australia did not have the kinds of natural resources as they do, can Western Australia afford to be so laidback? Probably not, unless they are willing to lose their economic standing in the world today.

Singapore, on the other hand, has no natural resources other than human beings and education. It has recently been ranked 2nd in the World Competitiveness Ranking by top European business schools and highlighted by Businessweek, trailing US by onli 0.7 points and is slated to become #1 next year.
Again, very amazing when one looks at Singapore's size, lack of natural resource, geographic region where almost every other country in SEA is a developing one and with many facing political problems. Also, Singapore's relative short period of independence further lends credence to the capabilities of its government and citizens.

I feel very proud to be a Singaporean.

Alright, that will be all for today. I prefer to discuss and analyze verbally and graphically rather than typing it out all alone. Hahaz...

I'm proud to be a Singaporean... =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you all haven't seen me for a very long time cause you all never ask me out haha!

Anyway I lost my hp and all my contacts a few months ago so I lost everyone's numbers haha.